Peter S. Roeser
Peter Roeser is a co-founder, trial lawyer and principal of Roeser Tanner & Graham. He has more than 15 years of commercial litigation experience representing businesses, entrepreneurs and individuals in state and federal proceedings, arbitrations and mediations throughout the country. Peter and the firm are AV Rated Preeminent® by both peers and clients. He has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer® since 2015 and in 2019 was named a Crain’s Chicago GenX Notable Leader in Law.
Peter concentrates his practice in commercial litigation and consulting. He has experience defending and prosecuting cases involving employment disputes, breaches of contract, trade secret misappropriation, non-compete agreements, fiduciary duty, fraud, intellectual property and other forms of unfair competition. He also has significant experience litigating employee mobility claims, often involving claims for emergency relief or temporary restraining orders, and has previously represented CNA Insurance, EGEA, Smith Barney, Chicago Consulting Actuaries, Provena Health Care, Chicago Magazine, and Boden Industries in such matters.
Previously, he was a trial lawyer at the law firm Grippo & Elden LLC, a nationally known litigation boutique, in the commercial litigation department, where he successfully represented Fortune 100 companies, family-owned businesses, entrepreneurs and individuals.
University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1993)
Loyola University of Chicago (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
Employment Litigation and Consulting
Unfair Competition Claims
Emergency Litigation and TROs
Prior Law Firm
Grippo & Elden LLC, Principal
State of Illinois
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- Employment Litigation Claims – Successfully defended corporate employer against class claims asserted by Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Obtained judgment in client’s favor and award of attorney’s fees for claims the court deemed “frivolous after discovery” and “stood no chance of success.”
- Partnership and Close Corporation Disputes – Defeated claims against the majority shareholder and president of an internet company in which the plaintiff, the minority shareholder, attempted to force the sale of the company alleging breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and violation of the Illinois Business Corporation Act.
- Officers, Directors, and Executives – Counsels high level officers, directors, executives and employees on corporate and personal legal matters including fiduciary obligations, severance agreements, trade secret enforcement, and non-compete agreements. Representative clients from Wrigley, Microsoft, Alberto-Culver Company, Standard Chartered Bank, Aastrom Biosciences, Brumbo Tools Inc., and Microsoft.
- Financial Markets – Prosecuted a lawsuit against insurance conglomerate after it restricted a Chicago-based trading company’s ability to make unlimited transfers of its $36 million investment. Despite government investigations into “market timing,” we obtained summary judgment on behalf of trading company.
- Non-Compete and Other Post-Employment Disputes – Successfully represented both businesses and individuals in cases involving non-compete agreement and other post-employment matters. He recently obtained temporary restraining order preventing a former employee from breaching the non-compete and non-solicitation provisions of a covenant not to compete in which the employee allegedly obtained confidential customer information and used that information to launch a competitive business.
- Technology – Successfully represented Chicago technology company in a dispute over the ownership and licensing rights to its proprietary software and source code. Resolution of the issue was critical to the company’s business objective of raising additional capital and positioning itself for sale.
- Unfair Competition Claims – Represented multinational wholesaler and distributor of roll-your-own cigarette tobacco in dispute against competitor over claims of unfair competition, commercial disparagement and trade dress infringement.
- Construction – Represented general contractor against real estate developers in dispute over quality of workmanship and payment. Obtained 100% recovery on the eve of arbitration plus attorneys’ fees.
- FINRA Arbitration Claims – Obtained arbitration award in favor of a former employee against Merrill Lynch. As reported in the Wall Street Journal, Merrill Lynch was ordered to pay a six figure award to our client and Merrill’s claims for breach of promissory note were dismissed.
- JAMS Arbitration Claims – Represented Fortune 500 food company against manufacturer in claims for breach of contract and warranty arising out of the sale and installation of equipment used in massive multi-million dollar renovation project. Obtained relief in our client’s favor on all claims.
- Commission and Wage Claims – Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employer against former sales representative on claims for unpaid commissions. Successfully argued case of first impression regarding commissions to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.